"This pull request is brought to you by..."

All of my grant funded projects involve development of some sort, and many benefit from existing open source projects.  Sometimes, I have the opportunity to contribute back to these projects by creating documentation, or submitting a pull request.

Whenever I get a chance to contribute back to an existing open source project in this way, I often feel like I should be acknowledging the grant(s) that I'm funded under which let me do that work.  It not only helps funding agencies see that the grant they supported made a bigger contribution outside of the aims of the project, but someone reading the pull request can realize "Oh cool, my tax dollars going to the NIH in turn helped support this bug fix."

How to do this appropriately is what I'm trying to figure out (and hoping to get feedback on).  I don't think we need to overdo it - there doesn't need to be great fanfare for the little one-liner documentation change I made.  Having a one paragraph stock grant acknowledgement text that's longer than the lines of code changed may seem overkill (and could clog the git history).  But maybe just putting a brief acknowledgment of the grant in the pull request comments is a non-intrusive way to raise awareness.  I'm sure lots of people will miss it, but if someone wants to find it, it's there.

On the other hand, even though I'm doing this change for a grant-funded project, it doesn't mean that my funding agency officially supports the open source project I'm contributing back to, and doesn't necessarily endorse that project or my work.  And what if the new feature I'm trying to submit has a bug in it?  It should make me look bad, but I wouldn't want my funding agency to look bad too.  We can cover that often with disclaimers "... this work not endorsed by [agency] ...", which could be included with a pull request comment.

The other aspect of this is impact/metrics.  We could go back and track the number of pull requests made to a project when reporting to our funding agency.  To me, doing this at the pull request level instead of the commit level makes more sense - often times there are >1 commit per pull request.  I think we realize that if we get graded on those metrics, they will be abused ("oooh, I'll just submit one PR per commit!"), so weighing that would need to be handled with care.

Similar discussions have been happening around data sets and ensuring that people get credit for those.  I'm not necessarily saying that pull requests should be counted at the same level of a data set - different amounts of work go into each - but this may be a reasonable option for software developers in the scientific field to track output and impact.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My ideal resume

Chicago Informatics Week

Brought to you by the letter "B"