My ideal resume

As I'm getting ready for a yearly performance review, I started thinking about when I applied for this and previous jobs and all of the effort I put into building the "perfect" resume. Tweaking it to have the right keywords for the job description, making sure I didn't overstate or understate my effort, but making sure whoever read this knew I was the best candidate.

I started thinking about what that really translates to at my job, and what skills are practical and important each day. I came up with this as my new resume (no, not sending it out, very happy at my current job but thanks). Of course I realize sometimes you have to "play the game", but tell me this isn't what you're really looking for in an employee:

  • I know I need to keep learning, and so I do. 
  • I can (and do) listen better than I can speak. 
  • I won't be a jerk to anyone in the organization, no matter their role. 
  • I will come in to work and genuinely want to be there.
I'm sure more can be added (maybe you have a few suggestions?), but right now I feel these skills are what help me every day, and the people who exhibit the same skills are the ones I enjoy working with the most.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chicago Informatics Week

Brought to you by the letter "B"